Pages

Sunday, 2 September 2012

Weight Loss Beginnings

I have been overweight my entire adult life, nearly 30 years in all.

Over the years I've tried many diets, but none of them worked or made me want to stick to them beyond a few days/weeks. Until I discovered Marks Daily Apple & the idea of Primal/Paleo eating.

In the spring of 2010, when I bought Mark Sisson's book The Primal Blueprint, I weighed in at a scale-crushing 17st 7lbs (245lbs). Double the ideal weight for my height, and classed as morbidly obese. I started cutting out bread, pasta, rice, cakes, biscuits and other grains from my diet. I drastically reduced my sugar intake and increased my vegetable portions. I dropped polyunsaturated fats and increased my saturated fat instead.

Suddenly 'diet' food was yummy and kept me full for longer. For the first time in my life I stopped steadily gaining weight and started losing it instead. Everything about going grain-free and eating natural made total sense to me. I started feeling less lethargic, my joints hurt less, my IBS disappeared and my skin improved. Over the next few months I very steadily and easily lost around 24lb, totally through what I ate. No extra exercising apart from the odd evening walk. No time-consuming measuring, weighing or counting calories...just eating the right foods until I was full. Easy!

Then in the autumn of 2010 I got pregnant with our second child, and it all went to pot really. I drifted back into grain and junk eating. Thankfully the constant nausea for the whole of the pregnancy did help me control my bread binges. So, when I weighed myself 1 week after Elfbaby was born in spring 2011 I found I'd actually lost another 10lbs from my weight before the pregnancy!

Since then I've half-heartedly thought about primal eating some of the time so I've managed to maintain my weight around 14.5-15st (203-210lbs)...but those bad grains and processed foods have been a regular feature far too often.

I've realised recently that if I want to be slim I need to get pro-active about it. I've still got a long way to go before I'm down to a healthy weight. But I know that if I stick to primal eating I can do it and maintain that weight easily. Eating primally makes me feel healthier. Processed foods like grains and sugar only make me ill. I know which one I want to be.

I'm almost 40 and I don't want to start the second half of my life still overweight. So, a renewed primal effort starts here. I look forward to sharing my success with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment